Microaggressions are intentional or unintentional brief slights that communicate derogatory messages toward individuals based solely upon their marginalized group membership. Microaggressions can and do occur everywhere and anywhere including classrooms and other academic spaces. This interactive session will introduce and explore strategies and tools for both addressing the impact of microaggressions and creating inclusive spaces.
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Define the characteristics and impact of microagressions
- Recognize the difference between inclusive language and political correctness
- Complete an action plan for creating inclusive academic spaces
Microaggressions In Everyday Life
What Kind of Asian Are You?
How To Tell Someone They Sound Racist
- Tools for Creating Inclusive Classrooms
- Creating Trans Inclusive Classrooms & Group Spaces – Northwestern (PDF)
- Easy-to-follow video explaining pronouns
- DePaul Resources
- A few university websites that have suggested non-discrimination/anti-discrimination statements/policies for faculty to put in syllabi