Have you ever wondered if your students are grasping the material you are teaching them? How can you check for student learning during class? In this workshop, participants discussed key points from active learning research, practiced facilitation skills that create collaborative learning environments, and applied easy-to-integrate active learning strategies to lessons. Participants walked away with the skills and resources needed to engage students in developing a deeper understanding of course material during class. Participants also received a pack of Supplemental Instruction Strategy Cards that include 80 activities!
By the end of the session, participants were able to:
- Define active learning and how to facilitate it.
- Apply active learning strategies to a lesson plan.
- Identify active learning resources.
Sara Hernandez (Office for Teaching, Learning, and Assessment)
- DePaul SI Strategy Cards
- DePaul SI Video: Engaging Students in Active Learning
- DePaul Supplemental Instruction Research and Assessment
- Active Learning: Creating Excitement in the Classroom
- A Survey of Principles Instructors: Why Lecture Prevails
- Active Learning Strategies in Face-to-Face Courses
- Active learning increases student performance in science, engineering, and mathematics
- Mobile Learning Initiative